Tyler J. Browning
A Georgia native, Tyler J. Browning was born in Decatur, but has spent most of his life in Cobb County, becoming a highly respected litigator and influential member in the community. Upon graduating from the Walker School in 1993, he went on to attend the University of Georgia where he received a B.A. in English in 1997. That same year, he embarked upon his legal career at Georgia State University College of Law, where he received his Juris Doctorate in 2000.
Mr. Browning was extensively involved academically, socially, and civically at both the University of Georgia and Georgia State University. At UGA, Mr. Browning was a member of numerous honor societies, was appointed Chief Defender of University Judiciary, and was also a Presidential Scholar and Dean's List honoree. In law school, he was a Sigma Delta Kappa Scholarship recipient and served as Class Senator and a Student Representative to the Scholarship Committee.
Prior to even graduating from law school, Mr. Browning gained invaluable trial and courtroom experience at the Cobb County Solicitor General's Office and as legal intern to Judge John J. Ellington of the Georgia Court of Appeals. Following graduation Mr. Browning became an active member of the State Bar of Georgia while working as staff attorney to Judge Robert E. Flournoy, III, of the Cobb County Superior Court. From August 2002 until December 2003, Mr. Browning prosecuted criminal cases as an Assistant Solicitor General in the Cobb County Solicitor General's Office. He then joined Browning & Tanksley, LLP, now known as Browning Browning & Gilkinson.
Mr. Browning is regarded as one of the foremost family law lawyers in the Atlanta area. He has been named to the state-wide Legal Elite list by Georgia Trend magazine and has been featured in Atlanta magazine. Mr. Browning has been named a "Super Lawyer" by the Super Lawyers publication every year since 2016, an honor bestowed upon only 5% of all attorneys in Georgia each year. Prior to 2016, he was named a Rising Star for four straight years by the Super Lawyers publication.
For many years, Mr. Browning has served as a Guardian Ad Litem, investigating the facts and circumstances in contested custody cases and ultimately making custody, parenting time, and other recommendations to the courts in the best interests of minor children. He has been appointed by judges and specifically chosen by attorneys to serve as Guardian Ad Litem in numerous jurisdictions in the metro Atlanta area and beyond.
He has co-chaired the Successful Trial Practice seminar, been a featured speaker on family law and guardian ad litem issues at the Family Law Institute, the Cobb County Family Law seminar, Kennesaw State University, Cobb County Guardian Ad Litem seminar, and other events. Mr. Browning has served on the boards of numerous religious and charitable organizations. He currently serves the Cobb County and Marietta community as an elected officer of the Downtown Marietta Development Authority and presides as the Hearing Officer for the City of Marietta's Tax Intercept Program
- Georgia State University College of Law, Atlanta, Georgia
- J.D. - 2000
- University of Georgia
- B.A. - 1997
- Georgia, 2000
- State Bar of Georgia
- State Bar of Georgia Family Law Section: Executive Committee , 2009 to 2010
- State Bar of Georgia Young Lawyers Division , Board of Directors, 2010 to 2011
- State Bar of Georgia Young Lawyers Division, Executive Council , 2009 to 2011
- State Bar of Georgia Young Lawyers Division, Secretary, Family Law Executive Committee, 2008 to 2009
- State Bar of Georgia Young Lawyers Division, Chair, Family Law Executive Committee , 2009 to 2010
- State Bar of Georgia Young Lawyers Division, Event Chair, Family Law Executive Committee , 2010 to 2011
- Northern District representative , 2009 to 2011
- Cobb County Bar Association
- Cobb County Young Lawyers Division, Treasurer, 2004 to 2006
- Cobb County Bar Association Family Law Section
- Lawyers Club of Atlanta
- Georgia Lawyers for the Arts , Board of Directors, 2013 to Present
- Co-chair of annual Successful Trial Practice seminar with Georgia ICLE , 2005 to Present
- Smith v. Henry, 276 Ga. App. 831, 625 SE2d 93 (2005)
- Taylor v. Taylor, 282 Ga. 113, 646 SE2d 238 (2007)
- Patel v. Patel, 285 Ga. 391, 677 SE2d 114 (2009)
Classes & Seminars
- Lecturer, Cobb County Family Law Workshop
- Author, “Don’t Be Afraid of Email Evidence” Atlanta Bar Association Family Law Newsletter 2011
- Speaker at seminars such as the Family Law Institute and GTLA annual meeting
- Rising Star in the 2012, 2013, 2014, and 2015 edition of Super Lawyers magazine and Atlanta magazine
- Named to the state-wide “Legal Elite” list of Georgia Trend Magazine (December 2012)
- Named a Super Lawyer by Super Lawyers magazine and Atlanta Magazine in 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, and 2020